21 May, 2008

Consumptive Diaries Part 2 - Phlegm Tests

The German had his first phlegm test results last night. (Officially called something like sputum test - which sounds just as dirty...)
For the TB test, phlegm is rated on a scale of 0-10; with 0 being non-infectious & 10 being toxic.
K's score was 10.
Typical German; if they do anything, they do it properly. No cutting corners, no half measures.
A full TEN. Now, if this were the Eurovision song contest or and ice skating competition or even bowling, 10 would be a good thing.
But not with this test. The doctor explained that it'll take a minimum of 2 months, possibly 3 in hospital.

So, the hopefulness of yesterday has kind of evaporated - for both of us.

Know i shouldn't moan because K's the one dealing with these, but this is MY blog, so excuse me while i have a quick rant...
I'm only on day 3 of my new schedule, but i am already tired. I'm leaving home at 8am and getting home at 9pm. And the thought of doing this for 3 months fills me with terror. Can i cope? Will i be able to function as a normal human being?
Also, I'm tired of people taking a step back from me when they hear what's wrong with K.
I'm also tired of explaining that, no, i am NOT infectious.
Yes, i may have TB and, if so, will have to be on antibiotics for 6 months, which also scares the crap out of me.
But right now, i have no symptoms and am therefore non-infectious. OK?

So, please don't ask me anymore.
I'm tired, emotional, miss the boy terribly (we can't even kiss), and beginning to feel like a leper.
I'm trying to be strong, but I'm finding it hard. I'm also trying not to wallow & trying to remain positive, but it's really difficult when you know you have possibly 3 more months of this hell.

But to counteract all the above negativity, i will try and end on a more positive note:
  • Friends - thank you for all your lovely messages & words of support. I will be taking you up on offers of drinks & hugs (especially the hugs)
  • The German WILL recover. It's going to be a long slog, but it's not as if he's dying or has something untreatable.
  • I called the German Embassy this morning and they are going to give me a selection of magazines & stuff for K. The lady there was very nice & helpful. And spoke perfect English...
  • K says the nurses & doctors are being really nice to him & some of the other patients have befriended him & are trying to teach him shogi.

2 comments:

j-ster said...

Wow, i have missed out on quite a bit here! Im very sorry to hear about this! What a major pain in the arse! I did get quite a giggle from your entry yesterday when you mentioned asking for the 13th floor and everyone taking a step away from you... It must be like being a gaijin all over again!

No kisses for you for weeks and weeks??? Now that's really sad, I hope he heals as emphatically as he gets sick and is able to hug and kiss you again soon. In the meantime, you take care of yourself, and i hope your tests are all clear. I guess K is going to check out of hospital with some very much improved Japanese skills - but what will his vocabulary be like??? In the meantime, I will be checking back here for more of the consumptive diaries....

Sandi said...

You know the both of you are in my thoughts constantly. I will be buying you many drinks Friday. Especially during the nomihodai part. Just kidding.

My ketai email is on the fritz. I suspect an unpaid phone bill. I wanted to tell you to make sure the TV in the hospital room is xbox-friendly. If so, maybe I can bring it Friday. Or maybe I can go visit K next week?